Monday, January 26, 2009

I Think I May Have Been Wrong About Something

On Thursday, I said that I thought The Curious Case of Benjamin Button would beat out Slumdog Millionaire for Best Picture at the Oscars. I figured that even though Slumdog Millionaire had won the award at the Critics Choice Awards and the Golden Globes, the Academy Awards are given out by people from all facets of filmmaking (actors, directors, producers, editors, technical crew, etc.) so they would be more apt to recognize how well The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is made.

However two events over the weekend have begun to make me believe otherwise.

First, on Saturday, the Producers Guild of America gave Slumdog its top honors. This still wasn't enough to convince me, because I think film producers probably appreciated what Slumdog was able to accomplish on its limited budget, compared to the $150 million that Button had to work with.

But, on Sunday, my dreams were shattered when the Screen Actors Guild gave the Best Ensemble Cast award to Slumdog Millionaire. This movie should not even have been NOMINATED in this category. It is a great movie (though I don't think the single greatest of the year), but not due to great acting. Some of the actors in this movie were just plain bad.

This continual blind worship for this movie has nearly convinced me that Slumdog will take home the top Oscar.

This makes me sad.

Check back soon for my complete list of Oscar predictions and my top 10 films of 2008.

No comments: